Winter Greens and Chickpeas
Try this tasty tapas recipe with Tapeña Verdejo
• 1 lb fresh spinach or kale (6 cups), washed and coarsely chopped
• 1/2 cup bread crumbs
• 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 1/4 tsp ground cumin
• 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• Salt and pepper
• 1/4 tsp dried red pepper
• 15 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Heat water in a large covered steamer. Cook the greens for 5 minutes, until wilted. Drain the spinach and set aside.
In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp of chickpeas and mash into a paste.
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet and cook the garlic and onion until soft. Add the bread/chickpea paste, cumin, vinegar, paprika and red pepper to the skillet. Stir until well blended.
Add the cooked spinach and remaining chickpeas. Cook on med-low until heated through. Serve warm by itself or with toasted bread.