Spinach Tortilla Espanola
Serves 10 -12
Try this tasty tapas recipe with Tapeña Tempranillo.
5 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 onion thinly sliced, lengthwise
1 tsp salt 4 large potatoes, quartered and cut into
1/4 inch slices
6 large eggs, beaten
4 large egg whites
1/2 c shredded Manchego Cheese
2 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
1/4 tsp ground pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1) Heat 1 tsp oil in a seasoned oven proof skillet over med heat
2) Soften onion (3-4) minutes and remove from pan
3) Add 2 tsp oil over med-high heat
4) Drop a piece of potato into pan to be sure the oil is hot enough to fry. Add a layer of potatoes to hot skillet and lower heat. You should cook the potatoes but you do not want to brown them. Cook for 3- 4 minutes and turn over to cook the other side.
5) Remove potatoes from pan and cook next batch using the same method, until all the potatoes are cooked. Sprinkle ½ tsp salt over the cooked potatoes.
6) Lightly whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Stir the potatoes and onions into the eggs along with cheese, spinach, ½ tsp salt and pepper until combined.
7) Wipe the pan clean; add the remaining 2 teaspoon oil, coat pan and heat over medium heat. When the pan is well heated, pour in the egg mixture, cook until the edges are set and the bottom is browned, 4 to 5 minutes (it will still be moist in the center).
8) To flip the tortilla, loosen the edges, cover the skillet with a flat lid or plate and flip quickly.
9) Place the uncooked side down into the skillet and cook until the cake is completely set in the middle, 3 to 6 minutes. Let it rest in the pan for 5 minutes. Carefully slide onto a platter and let it rest 5 more minutes, cut into squares. Serve warm or cold.