Sardine Cakes with Salsa Verde
Pair with Tapeña Rosé
• 2 large white potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch chunks
• 2-3.75 ounce tins of oil cured sardines, finely chopped
• 2 green onions, white part only, minced
• 2 tbsp oil-cured olives, pitted and minced
• 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1/2 cup bread crumbs
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/2 cup salsa verde
Fill a 2 quart saucepan halfway with water. Heat to a boil and cook potatoes until soft, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and smash potatoes in a large bowl.
Add onions, sardines, olives, parsley and garlic to the potato. Thoroughly combine the mixture. Shape into 12 cakes. Dip each cake into the egg, and roll through the bread crumbs.
Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook each cake until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes.
Serve warm with along with salsa verde.