Easy Potato Mushroom Torte
Try this tasty tapas recipe with Tapeña Garnacha.
Serves 6 - 12
15 ounces frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/4 cup virgin olive oil plus 2 Tbsp
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup milk
3 cloves garlic minced
1) Heat 1 tablespoons of oil on medium heat and sauté mushrooms until they release their juices. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
2) Heat another tablespoon of oil and sauté onions until translucent. Combine onions with mushrooms and set them aside.
3) Heat balance of oil and butter in an oven-proof 10" skillet. Add all but 1 cup of the potatoes; stir occasionally until defrosted and softened, about 5 minutes.
4) In the meantime, whisk together eggs, milk, and garlic. Coat remaining uncooked potatoes with the flour. Add coated potatoes to the skillet and briefly mix together.
5) Create a nest with the potatoes in the skillet. Add the mushroom and onions to the pan and press them into the nest. Pour the egg milk mixture on top and let it sink in.
6) Cook on medium-low heat for 20 - 30 minutes until the edges set and the underside is golden. Control the stovetop heat to be sure that the potato crust does not burn.
7) Heat oven to 450 degrees. When edges are set, put torte into the oven to cook the top. It will take about 20 minutes to completely set.
8) Let it sit for 10 minutes then run a thin spatula completely around the edges to loosen. Invert it onto a platter and cut with a pizza wheel into your desired serving size.